My State of the Union: 3/13/2016

Good Sunday Morning to you and welcome to of my Sunday State of the Union! This is the week in short and will cover everything from A to Z, or at least everything between A and Z that I care to mention. This weekly post will be published EVERY Sunday morning and will be written throughout the week. 
. . .
With this past week off, I thought I would get more blogging done than usual. Turns out, I was totally wrong. Apparently, playing 3 hours of Skyrim and sleeping for 10 hours every day doesn't lend itself to increased productivity. Who knew? There may be a pretty good chance that I'm writing this entire post while on the bus ride back down to DC.. Oops. Without further ado, here's the week:

1. Nancy Reagan - I'm sure many of you have already heard, but this past week Former First Lady Nancy Reagan passed away at age 94. A beautiful woman, both inside and out, she brought a classic style back to the White House, reminiscent of the Kennedy era. The article I've attached is from the New York Times and, in my opinion, beautifully covers Nancy Reagan's funeral. Written very neutrally and respectfully, it is a great little homage to the former First Lady, much better than I could squish into a paragraph here.

2. International Women's Day - March 8th this past week was International Women's Day! One of my personal favorites of the holidays. I loved the posts shared IFL Science on their Facebook page with the hashtag "Women You Should Have Heard Of" recognizing some of the greatest scientific and medical contributions and discoveries made by women. IFL Science highlighted the women who had been jilted and overlooked by their fellow male scientists including Rosalind Franklin, who's X-ray images lead to the discovery of the shape of DNA, but were used without her knowledge and permission by Frances Crick. Everyone knows about the Nobel winning team, but Franklin wasn't credited for her contributions. Check out her story, and others like hers on the IFL Science Facebook page

3. FemTalk - I'm sure by now you all know I love Estee Lalonde. She's a gorgeous blogger/blogger with a great sense of style and a fabulous attitude towards life. This past week, she débuted a new style of video, breaking out of her previous beauty/fashion blogger mold and more towards a lifestyle channel. Her video, FemTalk was great. I laughed, I cried, the whole nine yards. Well okay I didn't cry, but I definitely face her some serious snaps for 90% of what she said. I've been a pretty dedicated fan for a while, and I am definitely staying that way!

4. Generation Next - While I'm not a huge follower of Oli White, his debut book looks pretty good! It's a fictional insight into the rise of fame experienced by YouTubers, but I'm thinking that it's a bit more fact than fiction.. One of those books where all character similarities are just "coincidental," you catch my drift? Either way, he announced his book tour today, which is unfortunately not coming to anywhere near me, unless you count 3,000 miles away as near. I'll have to see if I can con J into going to the London signing for me.. You think he would wade through a sea of boy-crazy tweens to get a book signed for me? I'll have to work on my persuasive skills!

5. Chicago Away - This past week in Chicago, a Trump rally was cancelled amidst what one can only be called a hot mess of a crowd. Trump supporters, BLM supporters, Bernie supporters, and a couple thousand other people crowded together in a stadium in Chicago and became the cause for a Trump Rally to be cancelled. I don't really have much of an opinion on this story, just one heavy sigh and my eyes rolled so far, I think I can see my own brain. To be honest, this is just a confirmation of my continuing belief that this country's political system is just one big clusterf*ck. Remind me, why am I a Political Science major again? This is one of those weeks where I really consider switching to something less painful, like underwater basket weaving or something...


Photo of the Week:




This week's photo is also a shameless self-promotion. I went to New York last Thursday, and took this picture in Times Square. It's not particularly exquisite, but I like it, so I'm using it for this week. Check it out on Instagram!


Quote of the Week:
                          "If reason fails, use force!"
                                                         -Dowager Countess
I love, love, love Grandmama Crawley. She was the sassy guiding matriarch that every woman needs. While nearly all of her lines are incredibly memorable, this particular one stuck with me. Why? Because that mindset was my unofficial method for life before I watched Downtown Abbey. Now, post Downtown, I finally have a mantra for it. So this week is to you, Dowager Countess Crawley! And until next time,


Writing to you from M, Personally.

0 comments:

Post a Comment