Literary Update: August 3, 2015

If you remember, I recently decided to read 101 books in 1001 days. And so far, I've made pretty good progress! Kind of. I haven't read as much as I would have liked. Between work and applying for jobs in DC and working on college stuff and occasionally sleeping, reading got (once again!) tossed on the back burner.

Aside from all that, I am still (stiiiiiill) reading Anna Karenina, which is turning out to be a much more challenging read that originally anticipated! I'm sure once I get more into the book and the plot it'll go by easier.
I did finish The Great Gatsby last weekend! A nice easy read, it took me about 3 days to finish, through I probably could've done it in one! It's a real favorite of mine and it's been a while since I had read it. I love the way Fitzgerald describes some things through Nick's voice. It's such a strange view sometimes and some of the passages I could read over and over and over again. One thing I really dislike about the book is Daisy. I never disliked Daisy's character until I saw the movie.
I mean the movie was amazing, Luhrmann is an AMAZING director (um, hello, Moulin Rouge) and Carey Mulligan looked exactly like I imagined Daisy would. But she was just so much more eh in the movie. I guess I always pictured her a little less helpless and whiny when I read the book. Now that I've read it again I don't know if she was always helpless and I never noticed it or if I'm just really noticing it now that I have Mulligan's character in my head. And therein is a literary life lesson, kids! Always take notes on books! Yes, even the ones you read for fun! Because you can read things different every time.

After all of that, I just have to mention it! That amazing final line!


While Fitzgerald wrote so many fantastically memorable lines, this has to be one of my favorites.


Check out the 101 in 1001 list and my 101 in 1001 Bookshelf on Goodreads to see what else I've finished so far! 

Writing to you from M, Personally

0 comments:

Post a Comment