The Steps of Finding an Internship



Last fall, I was sort of an accidental intern. I sent an email to a company out of curiosity, thinking that no one would hire a first semester freshman with zero experience. Especially not for a paid internship! But lo and behold, there I was, a full course load and a 20 hour a week job! Without going too far into it all, it was a humbling experience to say the least! I am thankful for everything it taught me, and the connections that it has and will lead to in my future!

After that experience, plus a little time to grow, I'm ready to look for an internship for the spring. I need something that's only 2 or 3 days week, or else otherwise paid. Now with a new job sitting for a family, plus a heavy course load, plus a few extracurricular, and occasionally finding time for dinner, I've got more limited time. I also want something political, either a Hillternship or something in my future field, campaign management.

So here is your first bit of insight into the top-secret mission of looking for an internship. Here's how it goes down:

1. You begin to realize that, like, everyone has already had 9 internships, despite being first semester sophomores. The pressure begins, you gotta catch up!!


(Side Note: when I searched for a "panic gif" some how, I found a ton of Brendan Urie images. And it took a while before I realized why...)

2. The search begins.
     (a) You start with all the internship finder websites, but let's be honest, you can never find what you need there. I don't know. Maybe you can, but I certainly can't.


     (b) you just start to look for companies/firms/whatevers who might just have what your looking for.


3. A THOUSAND tabs later, you've got everything open, and three emails from your mom. You don't even remember telling her that you were looking for an internship, but she always know.


4. Before any emails or applications are sent, you gotta brush up that resume and LinkedIn profile.

5. Time to write out your cover letter AKA break out the creative writing skills.

6. Finally, you finish all of the emails. Now it's a hurry up and wait game for responses.


And that's about as far as I've gotten. Well I haven't even sent all my emails yet. That's tomorrows project! Per usual, I'll keep the masses updates! Until next time,

Writing to you from M, Personally

0 comments:

Post a Comment